In Hour 1, hear how to avert wasps from swarming all around fruit trees, recommendations for cooling off a very hot attic and extra.
Controlling Wasps Close to Fruit Trees
Wasps are swarming all-around the apple and pear trees in Valerie’s front garden.
“Each fallen fruit draws in about five or much more wasps, such that I can’t (properly, I really don’t WANT to) touch the fruit to move it absent to cut my grass,” she says.
Valerie would like to know: “What time of working day ought to I decide up the fruit?”
Wasps, as properly as bees, are attracted to the sugar in rotten fruit.
Do not spray any poison close to the trees for the reason that it won’t just kill the wasps —it will also kill honey bees, valuable pollinators that are dying at an alarming level.
Regretably, there’s not significantly you can do, other than:
- Decide on the fruit as before long as it’s ripe.
- Really do not let it tumble to the ground. We know it is impossible to prevent each fruit from landing in the dust but check on the trees frequently.
- Rake up the fruit on the floor with a long-taken care of rake to avoid any stings.
Bees and wasps aren’t as lively at night or incredibly early in the early morning, so decide up the fallen fruit then.
For extra suggestions, study How to Deal with Wasps in Your Garden.
Cooling Off a Renovated Attic
Leslie Trippe’s 1953 residence in Huntsville, Ala., has a concluded attic space with two bedrooms and a bathroom.
The ceilings are only 7 ft tall and angled in the bedrooms, as well as there’s no extra place in amongst the drywall and the roof.
“When the wall or ceiling is touched the heat can be felt coming by the drywall. We at this time use transportable air conditioners to hold the house cooler. Is there a way to amazing off this room?” she asks.
This is a pretty typical issue in attics that have been transformed into residing spaces. When persons are slowly and gradually renovating their residence, they fail to remember to acquire into thing to consider how hot the attic can get.
Most of the time, it is just about unattainable to increase insulation with no performing some demolition. Any additional insulation in the place in between the drywall and the roof will aid.
See if any contractors in your area do blow-in cellulose insulation. It’s a combine of wooden or paper-based merchandise and glue which is pumped into the cavities powering partitions and ceilings. The contractor would will need to slice a small space of drywall to pump it into the smaller room, but this can simply be repaired.
Apart from introducing insulation, call an HVAC experienced and see if they can set up some zoning for your air conditioning system. This makes it possible for you to pump additional air conditioning into particular places.
You can also make investments in a ductless air conditioner. This has its possess different procedure that attaches to the wall.
In Hour 2, hear our ideas on the most effective spot for a skylight, holding drinking water from pooling on a patio, and more.
The Very best Spot for a Skylight
A hotline caller wants to use skylights for air flow more so than sunlight.
He would like to know: What path ought to the skylights confront: north, south, east or west?
There is a lot to contemplate when positioning skylights. Begin by inquiring exactly where do you want the light-weight on the within.
Then run a plumb line up together the ceiling in the attic and see if you operate into any valleys or if the light tunnel will be exceptionally extended.
In conditions of directional exposure, I never believe that is a large deal to stress about if you have a quality skylight with shade capabilities. Just make guaranteed it appears great from the within and does not affect your home’s composition.
In usually conditions, people really don’t place it on the front of the residence for aesthetic applications. They are often put on the north-facing roof aircraft because it provides the most oblique mild, so you won’t get a whole lot of glare or heat establish-up.
If you live in a northern climate, you could possibly want to position them on the south-facing aspect for some additional heating.
Acquire a glass skylight, not an acrylic one. Those people can guide to drinking water injury and rigorous heat if they really don’t have the suitable curving or seamless flashing.
Stopping Pooling H2o on a Patio
Fifteen many years ago, Jane Pierce’s husband applied a concrete leveler to proper a minimal place on her patio that was accumulating water.
“It’s held up incredibly properly right until now. It is cracking and chipping off. How can I deal with this?” she asks.
Here’s how to repair this:
- Chip absent as significantly from the floor as you probably can. You never have to be far too intense with it — just get all of the content that is divided from the unique patio.
- Following, get some Quikrete ReCap Concrete Resurfacer. Use Quikrete’s Concrete Calculator to determine how several bags you’ll have to have.
- Then, mix it according to the directions on the package deal and pour it onto your patio.
- Use a large rubber squeegee (about a foot to 16 inches large) to distribute the mix. Address the full patio to guarantee it is degree.
- Right before it dries, drag a broom throughout it to increase some texture for a slip-resistant area
- Now, you have a patio that appears to be brand name new!
Watch: How to Give New Existence to an Outdated Patio
Repairing a Trapped Deadbolt
How do you resolve a deadbolt that’s caught in the locked place? That is what Marlene Lauer in Neenah, Wisconsin, wants to know.
She says, “We taken out the doorknob, but could not go any of the pieces to slide the bolt. We tried out to consider the doorway off and that did not get the job done. My son would like to observed by means of the bolt. Is that our only choice?”
Usually, a tiny piece inside the doorknob has broken and is lodged within, retaining it locked.
Use a hammer to tap a screwdriver or nail punch to the right and left within the keyhole to loosen the jammed element. Then, attempt tapping the screwdriver a bit with a hammer to loosen what’s trapped inside of.
If this doesn’t deal with it, connect with a locksmith.
Finest New Solutions
|Lutron’s Dimmer Swap Starter Kit presents your residence lighting a wise up grade, without competing for a signal with other equipment. Understand additional >>|
Effortless Overhead Storage — Here’s how to make an overhead rack in your garage workshop, or get rid of for storing smaller-diameter pipe, narrow moldings, and even fishing rods.
- Reduce two 5-in.-prolonged parts from a length of vinyl downspout.
- Then screw the downspout parts to an overhead ceiling joist, spacing them about 4 toes apart.
- Now, simply slide moldings and pipes into the quick downspout sections. The components will be up and out of the way, but very easily accessible when you need them.
Check out: How to Make an Overhead Storage Rack from Downspouts
Gluing Limited Cracks — When repairing a split chair rail, cracked baluster, or equivalent item, it is hard to implement glue for the reason that the crack is so limited. Test this:
- Wedge open the crack with a smaller flat-blade screwdriver.
- Then, squeeze in some glue and use a length of dental floss to get the job done the glue deep into the crack.
- Pull out the screwdriver, wipe absent the excess glue and clamp the fix.
Enjoy: How to Correct Break up Home furnishings with Wooden Glue